As part of a raft of recovery measures designed to support businesses and stimulate economic growth throughout the Falkland Islands during the global pandemic, the government is pleased to announce the launch of the Tourism Recovery Incentive Programme – or ‘TRIP’. TRIP is a domestic tourism stimulus scheme that is open to everyone who is ordinarily resident in the Falkland Islands and will run from 1 October 2020 until 31 March 2021. It will provide eligible adults with a £500 digital voucher and eligible children with a £250 digital voucher to be spent on tourism accommodation, hospitality and experiences, provided by registered businesses.
International Tours & Travel will be responsible for administering the scheme, working alongside of the Falkland Islands Government to ensure that all voucher applicants are eligible and recorded, and that applicable businesses are registered to participate in the scheme. Interested residents will be able to apply for the scheme by completing a registration form and registration will be confirmed within two weeks to allow for processing and eligibility checks by the government. Details on how to apply for the scheme will be available on the ITT website www.falklandislands.travel or by calling +500 22041.
Once registered, all bookings can be made via ITT and the voucher must only be used to pay for the services of registered businesses participating in the scheme. It will also be possible to receive reimbursement against the voucher for eligible bookings made prior to 19 October 2020 or before a person has received confirmation of their registration.
The key elements of the programme are:
- Each adult will be entitled to a digital voucher equivalent to £500, while children over the age of 2 and under the age of 16 will be allocated a digital voucher equivalent to £250
- Each voucher can be spent in a single transaction or across a number of smaller amounts
- Of the £500 voucher allocation:
- £400 can be spent on registered tourism accommodation or an experience provided by a tourist operator on a 100% redemption basis
- £100 can be spent on meals and non-alcoholic beverages in a registered tourism-orientated café, restaurant or gift shop on a 50/50 basis – i.e. a meal costing £25 will result in £12.50 being spent using the digital voucher
- Of the £250 voucher allocation:
- £200 can be spent on registered tourism accommodation or an experience provided by a tourist operator on a 100% redemption basis
- £50 can be spent on meals and non-alcoholic beverages in a registered tourism-orientated café, restaurant or gift shop on a 50/50 basis – i.e. a meal costing £25 will result in £12.50 being spent using the digital voucher – businesses may choose on which days of the week vouchers apply
- Vouchers will not be transferable and cannot be extended; all vouchers will expire on 31 March 2021
- One return trip on FIGAS or the Concordia Bay, over the course of the season, will be subsidised by 50% of the existing fare for residents. Such a trip would need to be linked to a confirmed booking with a registered accommodation or experience provider. No discount will be available for flightseeing tours
- TRIP administration will be contracted out to a private sector agent through a competitive tender
- FIG will develop and publish a list of criteria for eligible tourism businesses that wish to participate in TRIP in consultation with FITB and FITA; this list will enable the development of a register of participating businesses
- Businesses that meet the criteria and that wish to participate in the Scheme shall apply to FITB to be included on the register and the registration details will be provided to the private sector agent
- The private sector agent will establish a database for individuals to sign up to the TRIP
- FIG will provide verification to the private sector agent that adults and children applying for the TRIP are eligible to register