Archives

  • Logo banner
  • JCNA Reading Room
  • lady liz sunsetpaint
  • cathedral and ship
  • StanleySights 09008
  • hill cove

 

Introduction

Drury Street was originally named Lower Row or Lower Pensioners Row and was possibly named after Lieutenant Joseph DRURY who arrived in 1869 in charge of a detachment of marines. Pioneer Row was originally named Upper Row or Upper Pensioners Row.

This cluster of cottages, spread over two streets, date back to 1849 with the majority of the original 30 surviving to date and although modernised and extended the original part of the buildings are still recognisable.

From the Memorandum of Conditions on Which it is Proposed to Enrol Pensioners for Service in the Falkland Islands “They will be provided at the Falkland Islands with a cottage of two rooms, for each family, so soon as the same can be erected after their arrival; the materials are to be taken out, in framework, for this country, and put up by the Pensioners on the ground allotted to them…

On the termination of the seven years’ service for which the enrolment is made, the land and cottage occupied by the Pensioner will become his absolute property, provided he has fulfilled the conditions of his agreement; and he shall, thereafter, be subject to no further military duty than may be exacted from any other resident in defence of the colony.

In case of the death of any Pensioner while belonging to this Company, and the Governor of the Colony considering it necessary to resume possession of the cottage and ground for the benefit of the Pensioner’s successor to the vacancy, the wife and children of the deceased shall either receive a free passage home, or a grant of land of the same extent as was originally held by the deceased Pensioner, together with £15, to cover the expense of erecting a suitable residence for them…”

Thirty “two roomed kit houses worth £50 each”, along with the military pensioners and their families, were sent out on board the Victory which arrived 13 October 1849.  The contractor also furnished each cottage with 2 top long plates, 2 bottom long plates, “also floor boards, doors, partitions, joists, rafters, windows, beaded stops, locks, fastenings, outside roof board, also extra board for inside lining of lower rooms, extra glass, nails &c and 750 bricks for each house.”  Twelve cottages were built on Drury Street (or Lower Row as it was originally called) and eighteen cottages were built on Pioneer Row (or Upper Row as it was originally called and Upper Pensioners Row in the latter part of the 19th century).  Also on board were the Barracks which were built first so that the men and their families had somewhere to live while their cottages were being built.  After they moved out the Barracks were intended to be the quarters of Captain Reid, the Staff Officer of Pensioners, however he asked to be transferred and left 31 August 1852.

By 31 January 1850 the foundations for 6 or 7 cottages had been prepared. By February 1851 fourteen cottages were still unbuilt due to the Governor being unable to procure enough artisans to complete more than two cottages monthly.

“On either side of the Barracks are two rows of six cottages each and behind one row of 18 cottages, divided in the centre by a wide road leading to the Peat Banks. These cottages will in about 15 months from this time (May 1855) become the property of the Pensioners except such as may from circumstances belong to the Crown, which already possesses three of them.”  These three cottages were 3 Lower Row (14A Drury St), 6 Lower Row (11 Drury St) and 13 Upper Row (6 Pioneer Row); the latter was still unfinished in May 1855.

Drury Street and Pioneer Row 1923 Crown Grant Map

Part of the 1923 Crown Grant Map showing the Barracks and the Pensioners Cottage Allotments on Drury Street and Pioneer Row

These files are not a complete representation of the buildings now on Drury Street and Pioneer Row as they are mainly concerned with the history of the original 30 kit houses and are not necessarily a complete history but are intended to give a timeline for some of those that have been researched to date and will be added to from time to time. Later properties may be added from time to time.

NB: The cottages were originally numbered from East to West on Drury Street then West to East on Pioneer Row.  The street numbers have also changed over the years.  The file names reflect the original numbers first.

Drury Street

pdf1 Drury Street or 12 Lower Row.pdf(345.37 KB)

pdf2 Drury Street or 11 Lower Row.pdf(363.37 KB)

pdf3 Drury Street or 10 Lower Row.pdf(390.23 KB)

pdf4 Drury Street or 9 Lower Row.pdf(475.99 KB)

pdf5 Drury Street or 8 Lower Row.pdf(405.76 KB)

pdf6 Drury Street or 7 Lower Row.pdf(510.46 KB)

pdf8, 9 and 10 Drury Street - The Barracks or Marine House or Trinity House.pdf(856.02 KB)

pdf11 Drury Street or 6 Lower Row.pdf(300.56 KB)

pdf12 Drury Street or 5 Lower Row.pdf(378.23 KB)

pdf14 Drury Street or 4 Lower Row.pdf(195.91 KB)

pdf14A Drury Street or 3 Lower Row.pdf(215.55 KB)

pdf15 Drury Street or 2 Lower Row now 1A Brisbane Road.pdf(508.56 KB)

pdf16 Drury Street or 1 Lower Row - Star Hotel or Rose Hotel - now 1 Brisbane Road.pdf(919.58 KB)

 

Pioneer Row

pdf1 Pioneer Row or 18 Upper Row or 13 Pensioners Cottage Allotments now 1 King Street.pdf(426.85 KB)

pdf2 Pioneer Row or 17 Upper Row or 14 Pensioners Cottage Allotments.pdf(338.99 KB)

pdf3 Pioneer Row or 16 Upper Row or 15 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - Fair View Cottage or Sea View Cottage.pdf(475.16 KB)

pdf4 Pioneer Row or 15 Upper Row or 16 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - Myrtle Cottage.pdf(348.68 KB)

pdf5 Pioneer Row or 14 Upper Row or 17 Pensioners Cottage Allotments.pdf(456.4 KB)

pdf6 Pioneer Row or 13 Upper Row or 18 Pensioners Cottage Allotments.pdf(428.47 KB)

pdf7 Pioneer Row originally or 12 Upper Row or 19 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - now 6A Pioneer Row.pdf(378.88 KB)

pdf8 Pioneer Row originally or 11 Upper Row or 20 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - now 7 Pioneer Row - Cartmell Cottage.pdf(2.73 MB)

pdf9 Pioneer Row originally or 10 Upper Row or 21 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - now 8 Pioneer Row.pdf(1.32 MB)

pdf10 Pioneer Row originally or 9 Upper Row or 22 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - now 9 Pioneer Row.pdf(366.7 KB)

pdf11 Pioneer Row originally or 8 Upper Row or 23 Pensioners Cottage Allotments - now 10 Pioneer Row.pdf(887.46 KB)

pdf12 Pioneer Row originally or 7 Upper Row or 24 Pensioners Cottage Allotments or Shamrock Hotel now 11 Pioneer Row.pdf(803.3 KB)

pdf14A Pioneer Row originally or 5 Upper Row or 26 Pensioners Cottage Allotments now part of 15 Pioneer Row.pdf(463.4 KB)

pdf15 Pioneer Row originally or 4 Upper Row or 27 Pensioners Cotttage Allotments now part of 15 Pioneer Row.pdf(454.21 KB)

pdf16 Pioneer Row originally or 3 Upper Row or 28 Pensioners Cotttage Allotments now part of 15 Pioneer Row and 18 Brandon Road.pdf(521.17 KB)

pdf17 Pioneer Row originally or 2 Upper Row or 29 Pensioners Cottage Allotments now part of 18 Brandon Road.pdf(311.99 KB)

pdf18 Pioneer Row originally or 1 Upper Row 30 Pensioners Cottage Allotments now 3 and 3A Brisbane Road.pdf(555.71 KB)

 

Disclaimer

While every effort has been taken to ensure accuracy the Jane Cameron National Archives does not accept responsibility for any errors in these records.

Copyright guide

Copies of government records may be used freely for private research and educational purposes. If material is to be used for commercial publication, exhibition or broadcast the written permission of the Jane Cameron National Archives must first be obtained. Whenever material from the Jane Cameron National Archives is reproduced in any form or in any medium, the user must acknowledge the Jane Cameron National Archives as the source and give all document references. For non-government records it is your responsibility as the user to ensure that copyright is not infringed and any infringement that does occur is your responsibility.